Monday, June 13, 2011

A work in Progress.....Basement Rec Room updates



While going through some old pictures the other day, I came across some pics of our basement Rec Room from first when we moved into our house, about 7 years ago. At that time the space had horrible industrial brown carpet and exposed ductwork. It became a makeshift playroom and dumping ground for our old "hand me down" furniture from the first years we were married.



Here are a couple of "before" shots...



            
Boy....this space has come a long way! Below are some shots of how it currently looks....

Come along and I'll show you some of the updates we've completed on a small budget.....






When we replaced our upstairs family room sofas, we new that the old leather set would be right at home in our rec room area. I'd call this the "man cave" of our home, so we wanted it to have a warm masculine feel. The dark brown leather is a perfect fit here. A few new throw pillows in a golden hue complement the rich brown tones perfectly. A couple of years ago we did update the old industrial carpet with this diamond patterned loop carpet. It really helped to brighten up the space!



                 I used a large apothecary jar as a perfect place to showcase my husbands golf ball collection.



                     This large ceramic bowl was one of my Homesense clearance finds. At $5, I couldn't go wrong :)  I found these mini globes at Walmart...they add interest to the coffee table and really go great with the feel of the space.



This leather box that I already had, is the PERFECT size to store all those pesky remote controls...




The window treatments here are actually the old panels I made and used to have in my family room upstairs. I simply folded them and hung them on clips with the stripes showing horizontally to give them a whole new look! I added some inexpensive bamboo blinds to add texture and warmth to the window...




We replaced the old, ugly light fixtures with these beauties from Home Depot. We love how they have a slightly nautical feel (they remind me of a porthole) and love the warm amber glow they add to the space...



I put some woven placemats under the glass top of the desk. I just LOVE the texture they add and the fact that they hide fingerprints on the glass is an extra perk ;)



We decided to position the office area in the corner ...it defines the area while still flowing well with the rest of the room....


Of course, there are still some changes we would like to make down the road....wall mount the TV, get a new entertainment console and maybe some hardwood flooring......but  I think we are definitely headed in the right direction  :)

~Katrina


1 comment:

  1. Love it! Who would have guessed this is a basement. Love the leather and accessories.

    ReplyDelete